Friday, January 30, 2009

New Kid On The Blog

I'm always slightly behind the "cool curve" on what's hip and new for all you kids out there. I was so aprehensive to be a part of myspace, facebook, gmail (rip aol), blackberry messenging, flikr, etc. However, after taking the plunge I have become just as addicted as the rest of you twentysomethings. Hence, the first blog.

After catching up on Jen (& James') blog, I felt more informed of her life. I giggled as I was reading about Nikki & Mark and regretted the distance I have imparted between myself and the blogging community. So to all my besties out there who casually mention, "didnt you read my blog.... that was so two weeks ago" Ok, none of MY besties would ever use such immature chatter, but then again, they probably dont know that I refer to them as besties either. Anyways, to all of you, I apologize.

My first blog... popping that blog cherry (couldnt resist).

I took a friend to the airport early this morning and had a pretty wonderful conversation. She is visiting her folks and sister in Michigan, whom she hasnt seen in quite some time. I was asking her about her relationship with her parents and we got to chatting about parent quirks (you know the things that make you roll your eyes in the presence of friends, waiters, check-out clerks). All parents are weird. They do and say bizarre things. They dress strange and laugh at their own not-so-funny jokes. Everyone wishes (or has wished) that they had "normal" parents.

Here is a list of things that I didnt apreciate about my mother when I was an ungrateful little shit:

She was/is gay.
Ironically, so are most of my friends now. Well, atleast all the well dressed ones.
She smoked/smokes.
I now LOVE smokers and aspire to be a full timer one day. Until then, I limit myself to "only smoking when I drink" and when reading the New York Times on a coffee break
She didn't/doesn't dress like other mothers.
Now that I know what a WASP is, Im embarrased that I wanted her to dress like one. If she can love me in my Coca-Cola jacket and evening bag (worn first day of kindergarten), then I can love her in her polos and boy shorts.
She couldn't/can't buy me everything I wanted.
I hate myself for this one, and so will my future husband/suga daddy
She listened/listens to stupid music.
Ya know, stupid stuff like Bonnie Raitt and Huey Lewis. What was I thinking???
She didnt/does! have a cool car.
She kindly lets me drive her ultra hip Mustang when Im intown while she scoots around in whatever POS we have floating around the family car-lot. What a peach!

I say all of this to prove one point, and one point only.

We have one life and one life only. Lets not muck it up with children.

1 comment:

  1. shelleybelleyjellyfingers!! welcome. just a warning, im not that good at updating my blog. but due to the lack of tv and friends in austin, i might get better. welcome. and im kinda mad cause your blog is going to be the best and funniest. eh well- we are used to it. ps-my list is the same except take out the gay and insert dead beat loser boyfriends. gotta love sandy.

    ReplyDelete